The development of CCUS clusters begins at a local and regional level, and the STRATEGY CCUS project has mapped the technical potential for this for each of the eight promising regions.
The mapping exercise focused on the following, with the technical data expected to be of use for other areas of the project, including stakeholder engagement, economic and environmental assessments and detailed design of CCUS networks:
- Existing and planned CO2 sources, the types of facilities and their anticipated lifespans
- Existing and planned infrastructure for the transport of CO2 to storage sites and potential CO2 users
- Estimates of CO2 storage site capacities from previous projects
- Options for CO2 utilisation, including the expected development of a hydrogen industry and as well as enhanced oil recovery
- CO2 quotas at individual, cluster and national scale as part of the EU’s emissions trading system